Swim Dives Into a New Season

Haley Warner, Sports Editor

The lingering smell of chlorine, the greying of hair, and the rising numbers on the thermometer are all solid indicators that swim season is upon us.

Last year the boys placed third in the Central Sections as well as at the state level while the girls took second in section and unfortunately did not place at the state level.

Looking at the 2017 season, the swimmers to keep on eye on are senior Arizona State commit Graham Hauss, senior San Jose State commit Adie Collard, and sophomore Averee Preble, according to head coach Peter Tragitt.

“I have very little to do with them, I stay out of their way,” said Tragitt. “Let talent do their thing.”

National Letters of Intent were signed by these college-bound student athletes  after making their decisions to commit to a college swimming career where they will bring some valley talent to their respectful colleges.

“[Collard] has a chance to win it,” said Tragitt. “She’s got a great physique to swim; she’s tall and strong.”

“[Hauss] was a stud when he came in as a freshman. We knew he was going to be good,” said Tragitt. “He’s just very, very talented.”

Hauss was on two relays his freshman year, and one of them taking home the title.

“He’s won five medals at the CIF, on the relays all getting first and then he got first in 3 relays at the state meet,” Tragitt said.

Preble is a year-round swimmer that scored in the state meet in two events and was a member of the second place relay team as a freshman, alongside Collard who was a junior at the time.

“She’s gotten a little bit bigger and quite a bit stronger,” said Tragitt. “I’m pretty sure she’ll have a pretty good year.”

One thing both Preble and Hauss share is the fact that they both came extremely close to Olympic qualifying times last year. For Hauss, this time was in the 200m freestyle and for Preble it was either the 400m medley or the 200m butterfly.