Celebrate Diversity, Promote Inclusion

Gracie McKesson, Reporter

At Clovis High, the expansive variety of students is celebrated. Regardless of race, ethnicity, of culture, Clovis High students are all Cougars.

With the various language and ethnic clubs on campus, Clovis High students are able to discuss, share, and celebrate all of the different cultures and races that make up the diverse student population.

“The more these students are exposed to other different cultures, the more that they will know and understand how their community is working,” said Clovis High Spanish teacher Anthony Rosales.

As a Spanish teacher and Spanish Club advisor, Rosales said he is able to both teach and learn from students of all backgrounds.

“I want diversity. In my classes I have diversity and that’s what I want for my club,” said Rosales.

When it came to the Spanish club, Rosales made it a point to try and involve as many students as possible not just to increase the club’s numbers, but to create a space where students can share their traditions and experiences by coming together through the Spanish language.  

Rosales said, “The value of having the Spanish club and having diversity in the group is that we can learn from each other.”

Growing up in Mexico City, Mexico, Rosales said it wasn’t unusual to be surrounded by different ethnic groups where he is from, and shared his belief that being exposed to people of different cultures has value and benefits.

“For a lot of people, in order to interact with other cultures, they need to know about the language and cultural traditions,” said Rosales.

As a Clovis High teacher, Rosales said the ethnic and language clubs on campus show just how important diversity is, and gives kids a real feeling of community.

“We have become this diverse community and it reflects in our student population,” said Rosales. “The more these students are exposed to other different cultures, the more that they will know and understand how their community is working.”

Similarly, Transition ACTION Team Coach and Asian Club advisor Jeff Vue expressed how the Asian club helps to benefit its members.

“It’s a club to bring [together] the Asian community in the Clovis High area and also any other students,” said Vue.

“I love it when my Asian Club is not just Asians – I want it to be diverse,” Vue added.

Maly Thao, Clovis High senior and Asian club member since her freshman year, expressed her appreciation for a club which she said allows people to “celebrate how they’re unique.”

“People should be proud of [their differences] instead of conforming with everyone else” said Thao.

“I like the fact that the students that are Asian are able to come together and connect with people that they don’t know but of the same race,” said Thao, “And people who aren’t Asian, I like the fact that they’re able to join the club too and get to know a culture that is different from theirs.”

According to Thao, the Asian club and other various ethnic clubs on campus benefit students by making people more “open minded.”

Senior Clovis High student and President of the African American Student Union, Thomasia Stewart said, “Having AASU on campus allows me to be able to connect and socialize. It provides us with the opportunity to learn and understand our heritage and history.”

Stewart said that AASU as well as the Spanish and Asian club promotes appreciation for other cultures on campus.

“It provides people with the opportunity to obtain an understanding and show them different insights to other cultures and know what they’ve know all their lives,” said Stewart.

Regardless of differences in ethnicity, language, or culture, Clovis High Cougars are able to come together as one, while celebrating their differences and learning from them to create an inclusive campus that reflects its diverse community.

“At the end of day you need to learn how to carry on with your identity – who you are and where you come from – and then celebrate all these other identities and also embrace them,” said Rosales.