College-bound Cougar athletes celebrate Signing Day once again

Five Cougars singing their National Letters of Intent. (Left to right: track and field athlete Jonah Wilson, University of Washington; volleyball player Zevan Williams, UC Irvine; soccer player Stacia Williams, Fresno Pacific University; soccer player Logan Pattie, Fresno Pacific University; and soccer player Emily Murrell, Mount Marty College in South Dakota)

Dawn Vizzolini

Dawn Vizzolini

Haley Warner, Sports Editor

Five college-bound Cougar athletes celebrated Signing Day, signing their national letter of intent, Wednesday, February 3.

The student athletes that were involved in this celebration included: track and field athlete Jonah Wilson, University of Washington; volleyball player Zevan Williams, UC Irvine; soccer players Logan Pattie and Stacia Williams, Fresno Pacific University; and soccer player Emily Murrell, Mount Marty College in South Dakota.

Deciding which college to attend is a big step for seniors in high school and — with the addition of athletics alongside the already evident academics — it can be a tough choice.

“I was planning on going to the University of Florida and just doing academics there,” said Williams. “But during my last year of club volleyball I realized that I was really going to miss the sport if I didn’t continue to play in college so I decided that was probably a path I should take.”

Factors such as coaching staffs, teammates, climate, weather, and even majors are all influential in the process.

“It was nice because it made me feel better about myself because their kinesiology department is really good,” said Pattie. “Their soccer team is really good and it’s nice because it is local so I don’t have to spend the extra money on like residency fees.”

On the flip side, Wilson always had it in mind that he wanted to get out of Clovis and begin his new chapter in a new atmosphere.

“My dad went [to the University of Washington] so that’s why I took the initial visit in the first place and then when I went there I felt really comfortable; that school really fit me,” said Wilson. “At the other visits I took I didn’t really feel comfortable and that one I knew like right when I went there. It was like ‘oh yeah, this is my atmosphere I want to be in.’”

Central Valley talent is a known fact and these are just five student-athletes hoping to utilize their abilities on the college level.

“I’m hopefully going to bring a lot and be beneficial, work hard for wherever they need me, and do whatever I can to make the team better,” said Pattie. “It’s exciting. I know it hasn’t completely hit me yet but it’s exciting and I’m looking forward to it.”
“I feel pretty pumped, I mean, it’s a new experience,” said Wilson. “I’m basically starting a new journey in life and it’s pretty cool.”