Science and Success

Students Edith Navarro, Abby de Castro, Suzette de Dios, and Araceli Bernal Martinez enjoying the day at Science Olympiad.

Edith Navarro

Edith Navarro

Eliana Quiocho, Reporter

Intelligence and Creativeness brought success!

The CHS Science Olympiad team placed in the top 10, and brought home medals in four different events at the academic competition March 4 at Clovis North.

The competition consists of 23 separate events in which students demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of science. Participants, usually in pairs, compete according to the rules of the event, and the field of science that he or she choose.

Seniors Mackensie Dolph and Abby de Castro placed sixth place in Ecology, seniors Emily Shu and Emily Jennings placed fifth in Disease Detectives, junior Nathan Devins placed third in Electric Vehicle,  and senior Daniel Chevy and junior Abraham Chaviarria placed third in Write it Do it.

After the competition, the students who placed not only gained success, but the experience to prove one’s capabilities.

At Science Olympiad, a strong component of one’s capability is composed of not only intelligence, but creativity.

“I like seeing the creativity that comes from the events,” said Math II and honors math teacher and Science Olympiad Adviser Scott Davidson.

Creativity sets students apart from others, and keeps the competition fascinating.

Students say another factor of Science Olympiad is the information that students can learn about science they may have not heard of.

“It’s interesting to learn about stuff that you wouldn’t learn about in class,” said Chevy.

At the competition, Chevy placed third in the event Write it Do it – an event where competitors have to write directions on how to create the setup, and then they give the directions to the other person, and they have to make the project.

He chose to compete in this event because he was intrigued by achieving the directions that he was given accurately.

“It was a really great experience,” said Chevy.

Furthermore, team captain and sixth place winner Dolph agrees that the competition was a great experience.

“It was really fun,” said Dolph “I made a lot of good memories.”