Girls Host Bullard after Tournament Sweep

Allyson Dyck, Reporter

The Clovis High School softball team will host Bullard Friday in a non-league matchup after winning all five games in the Bishop Gorman Invitational in Las Vegas from March 7-11.

The girls got some redemption from some games they lost last year.

“The third game didn’t count but it was a big game for us since we played a team that we lost to last year which was South Point Catholic from Arizona,” said senior Amy Bang.

Winning this tournament has given the athletes momentum for what they hope to accomplish this season and has also given them a 7-0 record as of today.

“We want to win our league and be [contenders] to win the Valley,” said coach Mike Noel. “We think we’re one of the best teams in the Valley and if we play our best we’ll be tough to beat at the end.”

This weekend in Las Vegas, catcher for the Cougars softball team junior Jordyn Martinez broke the school record for career home runs. She has four so far this season and 14 so far in her career. The record was previously set by Amanda Scott, who graduated in 1996 and Alyssa Caballero who graduated in 2016.

“We’re excited about where she’s headed.” said Noel. “She’s been great for us this year,”

New record holder Martinez continues to set goals and strive for being better,

“I’m trying to hit 15 homeruns this season.” said Martinez, “As a team we’re trying to do a lot of good offensive things. We’re trying to have really good team at bats, and with Del pitching, hopefully that will put us forward in games.”

Junior Danielle Lung pitched the Cougars to victory with a score of 7-3 against Bishop Manogue in game 5 at the tournament.

“A lot of things came together this weekend.” said Martinez, “We had Del, hitting, defense, so it’s really good. Everything kind of came together.”

This tournament not only brought home 5 wins for the girls but it also brought the girls closer together as a team.

“I think that this tournament really brought us together as a team and defined us as a whole.” said Bang, “Everything was pretty put together like pitching, defense, hitting, base running, everything. It really showed us that this is a completely different team from last year and were playing for each other and focusing on doing our jobs and that leads to a successful outcome.”