Cougars Baseball Plays First TRAC Game Tonight

Brooke Sauceda, Reporter

The boys of summer are back! The Clovis High baseball season is in full swing with the team taking on its first Tri-River Athletic Conference opponent in Clovis East tonight in Merriman Field.

The team is 9-1-1 as of March 15 and is hoping for a shot at the TRAC title this year after finishing 23-9 and second in the TRAC in 2016.

The 2016 season ended in a playoff game against Clovis North; however the returning seniors prove that they have the possibility to be difference makers in the 2017 season.

“We have a great group of seniors,” said Patrick. “A lot of these guys have been on the varsity, now this is their third year.”

Offensively the team looks very strong this season, winning most of their games handedly.

“Throughout our lineup guys are very productive. We’ve had a great little run here in the preseason,” Patrick said. “Our offense has  been a little ahead of the curve as far as where you’d expect at this point of the season.”

As far as returning players there are 13 returning with seven of them being seniors. And for most of the seniors it is their third year playing on varsity. Patrick believes these guys will make the biggest impact this season.

“Several of them. Clayton Alexander, Mason Grotto, Payton Mcnair, Tyson Frasier, Chet Allison, Connor Jorgensen, and Darby Tatum, all these guys have played varsity for three years. They’re outstanding players, great guys. It’s really fun to coach them,” Patrick said.

The juniors and sophomores on the team have already played impressively as two returners, junior Jay Massey and sophomore Justin Tiger, have proved their position on the team.

Patrick also praised the team for their hard work in the offseason and the determination they have individually and as a team.

“All the guys have a lot of experience and they like each other. These guys have worked tremendously hard in the weight room and we’ve played a lot of games in the offseason. This group is ready to make a run.”