Clovis Softball Prepares for Battle Against Central

Allyson Dyck, Reporter

Clovis softball will face off against Tri-River Athletic Conference opponent Central today. This will be a tough game for Clovis because both the Cougars and Grizzlies are undefeated in league matches so the winner of this game will be in first.

“We’re hoping to show up and play well. They have a really good pitcher as do we so it’ll be a good old fashioned pitchers duel,” said head varsity coach Mike Noel. “We like our chances. We think we can do the things necessary for us to get runs across.”

Cougar softball has been analyzing the team in preparation for today’s duel.

“For today’s game we’ve been talking a lot about the pitcher, focusing on her specific pitches and defensively we’ve been kind of thinking about what they might do to try and score,” said sophomore and third baseman Grace Henson.

Although it’s going to be a difficult matchup, Clovis softball is ready to take on the undefeated Grizzlies.

“Central is a really good team in our league so we hope to come out on top in that game. It’s going to be a tough battle,” said Henson.

“I think for the most part we’ve done a good job at showing up each day prepared to win, doing the things that we need to do each game,” said Noel. “We have a game plan going into each game on how we’re going to attack the hitters, how we’re going to attack the pitcher and their defense, and we’ve done a really good job at sticking to that and things have been working out for us.“

Clovis softball also has a tournament coming up this weekend and has been working hard to be prepare for that.

“The tournament that were playing in this weekend, we haven’t faced the schools as much as we have the schools in this last tournament,” said Henson. “So I think the big thing is just going to be making adjustments because we haven’t faced them and we don’t know what they’re like yet.”

This upcoming tournament is full of unknowns and opportunities to make improvements.

“We’re going to be playing some really good teams so I think we just want to continue to play our best, do the little things to help us win, and to just get closer as a team and get ready for league and playoffs,” said Noel.

“Hopefully throughout the rest of trac we play well and play how we’ve been playing and hopefully we get to make it all the way to the end,” said Henson.