What’s That Smell?

Abbygail de Castro, Editor-in-Chief

Spring is officially here, and with that comes sunny skies, cooler weather, and beautiful flowers. Emphasis on beautiful, because as you can tell, our campus is surrounded by nature’s beauty. I mean I’m loving those roses by the side of the library, the little planters that contain signs saying what building you’re on, and the trees that shade us from the sun. Yes, the amount of trees have dwindled, but we can still be thankful for the amount of trees we have. One of my favorite trees planted are the ones that produce the most delicate white blossoms, because they have such a sweet and alluring scent.

I adore these trees so much that I decided to become a botanist over the weekend just to know more about this gorgeous gift from mother nature. The plant in question is called a Callery Pear, or Pyrus calleryana, a deciduous tree that’s common throughout North America. It blossoms in early spring and produces beautiful, five-petaled white flowers that have delightful scent of rotting fish and bleach. I don’t know about you, but I am particularly fond of this smell. This tree just makes it all the better going to school. I mean it just really gives the school such an inviting atmosphere. What’s more inviting than gagging as soon as you step foot on campus?

I think perhaps the blossoms puts everyone be in a better mood. Everyone in my opinion has just a brighter attitude when they are around the lovely plant. I always notice my classmates exclaiming the wondrous odors the trees possess, and in a calm manner they shout out that there should be more of the trees planted because they are so gosh darn amazing. I knew I wasn’t the only one who’s a fan of that rotten carcass perfume. Everybody just smiles at the pleasing scent it gives.

Unfortunately, there has been a lot of rain these past few weeks, and the angelic flowers have been appearing less lately, and that saddens me, because I should have not taken them for granted when they appeared frequently. I should have cherished them more than I already did, because my time in this high school is limited.
I know I expressed my hatred for some of nature’s gifts before, like the seagulls. But I think that I have finally appreciated their presence, maybe I learned to control my anger because those annoying, squawking vermins have no effect on me, and in fact the exquisite decaying smell of the Callery Pear, mixed with the friendly pests make going to Clovis High such an enjoyable place to be, and I’m not being sarcastic.