Cougar Softball Battles for League Title

Allyson Dyck, Reporter

The Clovis Cougar softball team defeated the Buchanan Bears in extra innings on Tuesday May 9. The game was tied 0-0 until junior Emily Puente hit a walk-off home run with a runner on base in the bottom of the 8th to clinch the 2-0 win.

Junior Danielle Lung pitched for the host Cougars while Clovis battled against two tough Buchanan pitchers, senior Katie January and junior Molly Millar.

“I thought we played really well,” said head varsity coach Mike Noel about the game on Tuesday. “We had really good pitching, we played tremendous defense one of our best defensive games of the year, and we battled against good pitching at the plate.”

The Cougars will complete the regular season at Clovis West tonight. They have high hopes for this duel against the Golden Eagles.

“We hope to win but also do what we can to mercy them,” said junior and center fielder Ashley Kincaid.

If the Cougars can take away a win tonight, they will secure themselves at least a tie for the league title with Central, the only conference team that Clovis has lost to.  

“I’m hoping we come out with championship energy and play to the best of our ability,” said Noel. “On paper we’re better than them but you have to go out and do it.”

The Cougars have a Tri-River Athletic Conference record of 7-2 going into tonight’s final warm up to the postseason.

“The season has been good. We’ve had a couple rough spots but overall we’re doing pretty well right now and we hope we can keep that up for the rest of the season,” said sophomore and third baseman Grace Henson.

With playoffs right around the corner, the team is doing what it can to stay focused and go into playoffs strong.

“We hope to get a good seed so we can get a home game or two. We’ll go into each game the same way we always do hoping to play our best and we feel if we do that good things will happen for us,” said Noel. “We think we’re one of the best teams in the valley and it’s a good time for us to show people that we are and I think the girls are excited to do that.”