A Special Thanks to Mom

Abbygail de Castro, Editor-In-Chief

Mother’s day is a day to show appreciation to moms everywhere, usually celebrated by cards, flowers, and other personalized gifts. The holiday was established by Anna Jarvis in 1908, and it became an official holiday in 1914. Everyone celebrates this special holiday a little differently, but the message of the day is still the same, May 14 is the day for mothers to feel special and admired.

As a mom, German teacher Rhonda Brand adores the gifts that her children give her and the fun activities they do as a family.

“I like it when my  kids make me breakfast in bed, going out to dinner is nice, and we go see shows or musicals,” Brand said.

However there’s nothing Brand cherishes more than being given gifts that are handmade, because when she was growing up her mother was also fond of handmade crafts rather than store bought presents.

Sons and daughters spend the day pampering their mothers by surprising them with breakfast in bed, tidying up the house, making cards, or taking them out to dinner, to let their mothers know they are appreciated.

Senior Zeyda Romero said that when it comes to Mother’s Day she spends the day cleaning the house along with giving her mom handmade presents and the whole family goes out to dinner, giving her mom a traditional celebration.

Freshman Kyle Jefferies says that he shows his gratitude by giving his mother flowers and making her cards.

Mothers sacrifice for their families and having a special day just for them gives them time to relax and enjoy themselves without worrying about the little things. The holiday reminds moms that they are loved and cherished

Brand said that the day is beneficial because it helps children realize how much work goes into being a mother.

Romero said, “I appreciate how hardworking, loving, and devoted my mother is to our family. Recently, I’ve been having a lot of health issues.  Although it has been hard, she has been there for me through it all.”

“[My mother] supports me in everything that I do and she’s right there always,” said Jeffries. “[Mother’s Day] is a time to give back to her.”

Mother’s day is about appreciating every hard work, and every sacrifice that moms that had to give up for their children. It is a day where they are the center of attention.

“[My mother] is the strongest person I know, and I’m thankful that she is apart of my life. She is my best friend and I appreciate every single thing she has done for me,” said Romero.