Cougar Swim Team Competes at State Championships Today

Haley Warner, Sports Editor

Clovis High’s boys and girls teams will be competing at the CIF State Championships today and tomorrow at Clovis West High School.

Th Cougar’s will be competing after both teams placed fourth overall last weekend at the Central Section Championship meet at Clovis West. It was the female side of the event’s host, however, that took home the Valley title and hats alongside Clovis North’s boys team.

“I thought we swam as well as we can swim,” said head coach Peter Tragitt. “We’re fourth in the boys and fourth in the girls and realistically we kind of knew we were going to be stuck there but all in all we swam pretty well.”

Although the team took fourth place, there were a handful of Clovis swimmers that took home first place medals: sophomore Averee Preble, 500 freestyle and 200 medley; senior Graham Hauss, 200 freestyle and 500 freestyle; and senior Adie Collard, 100 butterfly. Preble, Collard, and Hauss were each on two relays that placed second.

“The girls’ medley relay (comprised of sophomore Abby Mammen, junior Shelby Vidmar, Preble, and Collard) got second but they actually broke the sectional record,” said Tragitt. “Clovis West just happened to be a little faster than us.”

This was not the only record broken, however. Hauss, who recently received the 2017 B’nai B’rith Student Athlete Award, broke the school record for the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:37.77, a record set by Hauss himself just last year.

“[Hauss] has gotten bigger and stronger and that’s really helped his front-end speed. He can get out faster without working as hard because he’s just quite a bit stronger,” said Tragitt. “Mentally he seems to really understand what he needs to do in practice and in swim meets to have success.”

“Well, I practice a lot. I have mornings at 5:30 am three times a week on top of afternoon practices that are 3 hours, so that’s a lot of work,” said Hauss. “It’s nice to see it’s paying off for sure but I’m hoping this week at states I’ll be even faster.”

Preble also set a league record in the 200 Medley at the Tri-River Athletic Conference meet with a time of 2:06, a record that was set in 2002 by Clovis West’s Shellene Catalano.
“It feels really good to be able to do that,” said Preble. “I didn’t really go into the meet expecting to set a record but I felt really good that day and I was really happy to.”