Boys Golf Finishes the Season Off Strong, Looking Forward to Next Year

Haley Warner, Reporter

Clovis’ boys golf team just missed qualifying for the SoCal Regional Champions as they finished outside the top three at the section competition. . Although it was not where they wanted to conclude their season, the Cougars were satisfied with how hard they worked all year.

As a team, we were hoping to be playing at SoCal Regionals but we’re not. We were hoping we’d be playing as a team at Valleys and we didn’t,” said head coach Fred Avila. “We did have three qualifiers though for Valleys and they’re all underclassmen, two sophomores and a freshman, so we felt good about that.”

Along with Valleys qualifiers, Clovis has two SoCal Regionals qualifiers, sophomores Jackson Lake and Chase Foster. Both are competing today at the regional competition in Pasedena.

“We haven’t had two SoCal Regional qualifiers since prior to 2011 so for the last seven years we’ve had one qualifier twice but not two qualifiers for SoCal Regionals so they did good overall,” said Avila.

“I made it to SoCal so I did good, myself,” said Lake. “It took quality practice and really working hard.”

The Cougars may not have been the top dogs in the Valley, but Avila attributes that to the competitive nature of the Tri-River Athletic Conference. Buchanan, in fact, took home the gold, beating Clovis West by six strokes.

Next year the Cougars will take on the season with their wide base of young talent. The top four, according to Avila, will consist of two juniors (Lake and Foster) as well as two sophomores (Zach Ruskofsky and Bradley Ohashi).

“Our biggest thing is going to be depth next year,” said Avila. “Our top three are going to be excellent, our fourth should be pretty good, and the five and six spot are going to be a big question as far as how far we go and it always is.”