A Great Ending to a Perfect Career

Payton Mayer, Reporter

Clovis High Athletics made history Monday May 12, as senior swimmer and water polo star Graham Hauss won the coveted B’nai B’rith award.

“I was extremely honored to win this award and shocked that I won,” said Hauss. “Each nominee was qualified to win that award and each of them inspired me in how hard they worked in their classrooms and in their sport.”

Hauss is the now the tenth winner of the award. In fact, Clovis High has won 5 of the last 7 times, including winning the last four years in a row (no other school has ever accomplished this). Hauss follows  in the footsteps of Clovis High alums Nick Nevills (2014), Adam Prentice (2015), and Cassidy Crouch (2016).

It is always an honor to place one of our best student/athlete up for the B’nai B’rith Award,” said Clovis High School’s Athletic Director Jesse Hardwick. “Winning the award is is exceptional.  It is not an easy task as all nominees from each school have outstanding resumes.”

The B’nai B’rith International is a committee that was formed on October 13, 1843 in New York City’s Lower East part. Created for the security and continuity of the Jewish people, every year they give out their own ‘B’nai B’rith Student Athlete Award’ where they give a $2,500 scholarship to the winner since 1951.

The committee likes to acknowledge the student athletes that are exceptional in the classroom and in their own sport, even if they aren’t Jewish.

Hauss was given this exceptional award for his academic achievements as well as his skills in the pool. Hauss is going to finish high school career with a 4.48 GPA and as a six time Central Section Champion, a three time state champion, and 2 time Fresno Bee all-star for swim.

Hauss’ swim coach, Peter Tragitt expressed his respect and the absolute ease of coaching Hauss.

“Pretty dog-gone easy to tell you that,” said Tragitt. “He’s always had a great feel for the water, and you don’t have to do a lot of coaching because he has it already found out.”

“Regardless of winning this award, I’ve had an amazing career at Clovis High and while receiving that award was nice,” continued Hauss. “it will never fully captivate the memories and joy I’ve had representing Clovis High.”

Graham has had an outstanding high school career,” continued Hardwick. “Winning the B’nai Brith provides great closure to an exceptional high school career.”

“It’s a nice exclamation point,” expressed Tragitt. “I know this year was a little hard for him swimming wise, and we were fortunate with some relays we won at states, and him having to balance graduation and all of that. But it cemented a nice senior year for him”

Hauss received a scholarship for $2,500 and plans to carry his talent to Arizona State University next year.