Eyeing More Rings

Payton Mayer, Reporter

One of the biggest, and most anticipated track and field meets is right around the corner. The best runners, jumpers, throwers from across the state of California will gather at Buchanan’s Veterans Memorial Stadium to compete in the CIF Track and Field State Championships today and tomorrow.

One obvious standout from Clovis High is senior discus and shot put thrower Jonah Wilson who will be looking to finish his senior season with an exclamation point.

Wilson has been crushing records left and right, and has had himself an outstanding senior year claiming the California state record at 221 feet 5 inches in the discus.

“I’m really excited,” said Wilson. “I’m not nervous at all. I’ve made it this far and I know I can out throw my opponents. I’ve put in the hard work, and I’ve been waiting for this moment since the beginning of this year.”

Just as much as Wilson has been putting in his hard work and training in throwing, junior Jake Woods has a chance to compete for the state title in the 110 meter hurdles.

“My training is never over,” said Woods. “I will continue to fight night and day to get better, even after states.”

Sprinters coach Ephion Jackson has been keeping Woods in “state shape.” Jackson really can’t say enough about Woods’ work ethic and his desire to be the best and win state.

“It’s pretty crazy to say the least,” said Jackson. “For this being my first year here at Clovis High, he really makes my job easier. Sometimes you are forced to drill in the drive for states, but [Woods] has it naturally.”

“I have nothing but the utmost confidence in him,” continued Jackson. “If he continues to work hard, this may not be the only level he could be winning championships on.”

Woods needed to qualify in the top three of the CIF Central Section Championships May 20 in order to advance to the state meet this weekend. Not only did he qualify, but Woods won the event.

“I was elated that I pushed myself to win Valleys and I am excited to see what I can do in states,” he said.

Pardeep Kandola will be competing in the mile and fellow distance runner Andrew Scherf, currently ranked No. 5 in the state of California, will compete for a state title in the 800m.

In addition junior high jumper Alexis Vincent-Walker will be high jumping. Vincent-Walker finished 6th in the state last year and is coming back from a tweaked ankle injury.

“I can’t not stop competing,” said Vincent-Walker. “Now you would think I’m nervous due to my ankle, but I’m more anxious if anything. I feel like I can win state. [Tiffani] Boone is a phenomenal coach and she keeps pushing me to my best.”

Clovis High’s girls’ 4×400 team will also compete. The team is composed of freshmen Julia Hardwick, Alycean Pointer, Trinity Portillo and junior Megan Dean.

Coach Bill Buettner also stated that this is probably the second fastest four-by-four team in Clovis High history.