Superintendent’s Breakfast Introduces Dr. Eimear O’Farrell For the First Time

Dr.+O%E2%80%99Farrell+speaks+to+the+audience+at+the+Superintendent%27s+Breakfast+on+Wednesday+October+4+at+the+Clovis+Memorial+Building.+
Dr. O’Farrell speaks to the audience at the Superintendent's Breakfast on Wednesday October 4 at the Clovis Memorial Building.

Ronald Webb

Ronald Webb

Jordyn Ohashi, Reporter

The 8th superintendent of Clovis Unified School District, Eimear O’Farrell, was featured for the first time at the 2017 Superintendent’s Breakfast October 4 at the Clovis Memorial building. The breakfast is held every year to thank the individuals who contribute time and money to CUSD and to explain how grants are distributed throughtout the district.

The theme this year was “Be the Difference.” O’Farrell addressed this theme during her speech and spoke of three key points to continue to improve CUSD.

“We put kids first,” said O’Farrell, “partner together and remain committed to our core values.”

O’Farrell also spoke about how CUSD operates on less money than any other school in the Fresno County.  If CUSD receive the same government funding per student as other districts in Fresno County, then Clovis Unified would get about 87 million dollars more.

“With this money we could hire 100 more employees, double school materials, get a personal computer for each student, and have money left over,” O’Farrell said.

Attending the breakfast was 600 people from the community. Among this audience was CUSD student’ parents, Lozano Smith-the firm who represents CUSD-attorneys, members from the Foundation for Clovis Schools, and many more.

Bret and Connie Nicholson, parents, sponsors, and previous members of the Foundation for Clovis Schools, were in the audience and pleased to hear the new superintendent speak about what was going on in the district.

“It’s always nice to hear what’s going on in the district,” Nicholson. “It’s nice to hear about [CUSD] from the superintendent and from other people who speak.”

“It was so inspirational I got to see some really awesome videos that highlighted what the teachers do and what the students do,” said Sara Santoyo, an attorney for Lozano Smith. “It’s very eye opening to the power and strength of the community and how committed everyone is to the values

The Chairperson for the Foundation for Clovis Schools, Hugh Awtrey III, opened the event and showed a video of how the grant money was distributed throughout CUSD. He said, “I look forward to the fact that Clovis will be making the difference and if the teacher and employees do this it’s going to be great.”