Girl’s Waterpolo Takes on Rival Clovis West Tonight

Emma Streich, Reporter

The Clovis High girl’s water polo team, 7-2 in the Tri-River Athletic Conference, will take on the Golden Eagles of Clovis West tonight to fight for the No. 1 seed for the Central Section playoffs which begin November 1.

Heading into the playoffs, head coach Noah Minton is, naturally, worried about post-season competition but thinks his girls do have a chance to win the Central Section despite having a much younger team. Last year’s veteran team came up just shy of a Valley championship finishing second behind Clovis West.

Compared to last year, the girls “get along better, communicate better in the game, and play better as a coordinated team,” Minton said.

The ultimate goal is to “win TRAC and try to go back to Valley’s” said senior Shelby Vidmar.

In their most recent TRAC game, the Cougars annihilated the Central High Grizzlies 15-0 at the senior night game on Wednesday October 18.  

In the spirit of senior night Minton started every senior on varsity and all the field players were able to score at least once.

“We want to recognize the efforts of our seniors and give them that moment,” Minton said.

Each senior was able to walk across with their parents while the announcer listed a few of their accomplishments.

Senior Mallory Moser has been on varsity since her sophomore year but has been playing water polo since sixth grade. She was starting goalie and allowed nothing past her.

Her advice to younger players is to “do their best, listen to their coaches, and have fun.”