Girls’ Volleyball Comes Up Short on Senior

Payton Mayer, Reporter

The Clovis High Lady Cougars will travel to Bakersfield to take on the Centennial Golden Eagles Thursday at 6 p.m. after officially ending their regular season. With their loss to the Clovis West Golden Eagles last Thursday October 26, senior night, the Lady Cougars ended the regular season record 14-20 and a Tri-Athletic Conference record of 1-9.

The Lady Cougars’ season was one that no one expected, especially for head coach Richard Lake. He explained how the season played out and the difficulty transitioning from last year’s team to this year’s team.

“It’s always difficult to make a seasonal change,” said Lake. “You get new players and you have to find ways to utilize them. I would be lying to say it’s not difficult because it is.”

“Having Taylen [Ballard] and Keri [Leake] last year made the offense and defense a lot easier because they were captains and had been on varsity for most of their high school career,” continued Lake. “This year  [Makena] Ogas did a good job at stepping up as a leader, but we have to pay attention to the little things a lot more.”

Despite the issues the team has faced through the season and struggles they have had, Lake is still optimistic. Lake said it would be “one hell of a story” if the Cougars dominated in the playoffs.

“Do you know how cool that would be if we won Valleys after having a year like this?” said senior captain Kaelyn Huffman. “Yeah the season has been great and senior night sucked, but it would really cool if we could do something in playoffs and shock the Valley.”

Huffman expressed her disappointment with season and explained that the loss to West was not the best way to end your high school career and her last home game as a Clovis High Cougar.

Ogas talked about the loss a little bit and showed some sympathy toward her senior teammates.

“The season has been disappointing and the seniors didn’t deserve this type of season,” said Ogas, a junior outside hitter. “It’s not too late to turn it around and I hope we can make a run into the playoffs. How cool would that be?”