Girls’ Golf Has Rough Time at Valley Competition

Jordyn Ohashi, Reporter

Leann Phongsa and Avery Foster, freshmen on Clovis High’s girls golf team, competed in the Valley Championships at River Island Country Club in Porterville Monday October 30.

The freshmen girls had tough competition at the Valley Championships, where the best schools and players were competing for a spot at the State Championships.   

“Moving forward to the state will be a tremendous task,” said Dave Sodersten, head coach of the girls golf team, prior to the match.  “That’s probably something for their future because of the talent in the Valley.”

The girls had a rough competition at the championships Monday.  Foster looks back on the event and wished to have remained relaxed and taken her time.  The end of the tournament marked the end of their season.  However, they remain positive and look forward to improving next season.  

“We both didn’t have a good day [at the Valley Championships],” said Foster. “I should have taken more time.”

“I hope to overall improve my swing and play the course better,” said Foster.

Both ladies qualified for Valley’s by finishing in the top ten at the North Area Tournament meet the previous week. Foster earned 4th place and Phongsa earned 9th place.  Both of the young freshmen girls played to the best of their abilities that day which paid off.  

“I did pretty good [at area],” said Phongsa.  “And our team actually did pretty good and I’m equal as happy for them.”

“They both qualified to go to the Valley which was fantastic because they are both freshmen which shocked me a little even as a coach but they played very well,” said Sodersten.

At the area Phongsa performed especially well on hole 5 which was a par 3.

“My best hole was the par 3 about hole 5 because I had really good shots and a positive mindset,” said Phongsa.

Sodersten hopes that Phongsa and Foster gain experience from competing in these high level matches and gain confidence in knowing that they can compete at this level.  

“It’s tough for [Foster and Phongsa] being so young, I just want them to go there and compete and know they can compete at this level,” said Sodersten.

As for the plans for the future the girls hope to improve their scores and increase the power of their swing.

“I hope to do better and get stronger,” said Phongsa.