Cougars Fall to Eagles in Last Game of TRAC

Justin Lowery, Reporter

The Cougars (6-4) will take on the Ridgeview Wolf Pack (6-4) this Thursday night at seven o’clock in Lamonica Stadium. If the Cougars win, they will get a chance at a rematch against Clovis West next week, as the Cougars are coming off Friday’s 45-21 loss to the Golden Eagles in their last regular season TRAC game.

The Cougars’ offense failed to convert on their drives against Clovis West. Despite tallying up 436 yards from scrimmage, the Cougars managed to get into the end zone only three times compared to the six touchdowns by the Eagles.

“I think we were pretty solid offensively, but we couldn’t finish drives in the red zone,” said senior wide receiver Jaden Devore. “That’ll be something we work on this week to hopefully put more points on the board next week.”

On the other hand, the Cougars’ defense struggled to keep the Eagles’ offense out of the end zone.

“[Their offense] came at us fast and they came aggressive,” said senior linebacker Jack Wiggins, “They had a good scheme and had a series for what we were able to shut down.”

Senior cornerback Nick Delgado added, “They picked us apart and beat us with speed.”

A balanced offensive attack by the Eagles along with early offensive struggles lead to a 21-0 Clovis West lead after the first quarter.

In the second quarter, both teams managed only a touchdown–CHS scored on a seven-yard pass from senior quarterback Payton Mayer to senior wide receiver Mickey Machado–to make the score 28-7 heading into halftime.

The third quarter witnessed more domination by the Eagles’ offense, as they scored two touchdowns to the Cougars’ one, making the score 42-14. Clovis High scored on 13-yard pass from Mayer to junior wide receiver Reef Dove.

The Cougars managed to score on a one yard touchdown run by sophomore running back Jonathan Johnson and the Eagles scored on a field goal to make the final score 45-21 in favor of Clovis West.

The loss marked the last regular season home game for the Cougars before they embark on their playoff journey.

“Of course we want to win valleys. I don’t think it’s impossible but I think it’s going to be very difficult,” said Mayer. “We’re gonna take it one week at a time with our first game against Ridgeview this Thursday at home and attempt to shock the valley.”