Filed under News

Face Off Kicks Off Today

Clovis High will hold Face Off for its third consecutive year today with the event taking place in the South Gym.

Face Off is put on by English intervention teacher Lori Herb along with the peer counseling students. It is a day long event that allows students to interact and better connect with each other on a deeper level.

The event is meant to bring students together who may not normally interact and to have a better understanding of each other as the students are able to open about more personal things going on in their lives if they choose to do so. The activities at the event will help these connections take place.

“They’re going to sort of ‘learn,’ but it’s more like figure out that we have a lot of similarities and instead of looking at the differences it makes them aware that we are alike in more ways than we are different,” said  Herb.

The peer counselors make connections with students participating and they  interact with many people they’ve never meet before.

“You can meet new people you would never think of talking to on campus and you get to know them, their back story and you get to become friends with them,” said sophomore peer counselor Cearra Armstrong.

The event also allows the peer counselors to inform the students that peer counseling is there as a resource to help them.

“I just like getting to know more people and helping them and letting them know that there’s people always there,” said sophomore peer counselor Chris Ryland.

Although Face Off is meant to teach students many different things about each other, themselves, and high school, there are two big takeaways that Herb really hopes students leave with, one being that they are not alone.

“One is to make connections with other students and to have each individual to realize he or she is not alone in the things they are struggling with and they do usually realize that through the things that are shared and the activities they do through Face Off,” sad Herb.

The other takeaway is that students learn their assumptions of people are usually wrong.

“Another big takeaway is that when you make assumptions and judgements about people without really knowing them, you’re usually wrong and so you need to get out of that habit of doing that,” said Herb.

The topics discussed during Face Off are typically universal and issues any high school student could relate to; however, some of the topics are central to Clovis High issues, discussing racism and mental health.  

“Right now we definitely want to talk about students looking at more of what we have in common than what we have different because of some of the racist comments that have been made recently and things like that,” said Herb.

Mental health is another very relevant issue that will be discussed during the event.

“We also want to focus on mental health,” said Herb. “Mental health topics because of students that have been a danger to themselves, committed suicide and so forth and that being a growing problem recently. So those are specific ways we focus a bit each year.”

And Face Off is not meant to be just for students that feel they face these issues but for any “ willing participants,” as Herb believes most students could benefit from the discussions and activities.

Face Off also allows for students to start the discussion on topics they might be scared to address and gives them resources to places they continue the discussions.

“We also try to give them some information about how they can continue to talk about it in a therapeutic way and in a helpful way and with appropriate people, what services they can get on campus and off campus and that sort of thing,” Herb said.

Face Off itself holds a stereotype of being an overly emotional event that makes students cry which tends to make students shy away from attending the event but Herb hopes to break that stereotype.

“We don’t nominate kids because they have problems and by the way, everybody has problems,” said Herb. “And some kids may get emotional while they’re there but that just depends on the kid and what they experience and what they share. I kind of just want to correct that misconception about what Face Off is about.”