Girls Waterpolo Wins Valley Title

The+girls+waterpolo+team+celebrates+its+Central+Section+title+win+on+Friday+November+10.+
The girls waterpolo team celebrates its Central Section title win on Friday November 10.

Emma Streich, Reporter

In the first ever California Interscholastic Federation state waterpolo playoffs, the Clovis High Cougars fell to Leland High School 10-4 in Palo Alto Tuesday night.

While the Cougars fought a hard battle, the loss doesn’t take away from the team’s Central Section title victory over the Sanger Apaches on Friday Nov. 10. The Cougars were the No. 4  seed heading into the match while the Apaches were the No. 2 seed.

The Cougars headed into the game on a high note having stumped powerhouse Clovis West, the No. 1 seed, 5-4 in Central Section semifinals Wednesday November 8.

Going into the second quarter at Sanger, Clovis had a 1-0 lead thanks to an early goal by junior Abby Mammen.

Freshman Elizabeth Alexander scored in the third quarter and Mammen added another to the scoreboard keeping the Cougars two points ahead despite Sanger’s first goal.

Sanger scored three more in the third quarter putting them one point ahead of CHS at 4-3.

With two and a half minutes remaining in the fourth quarter the game was tied at 4-4, when Mammen hit a shot outside five meters to score the winning goal.

Mammen played a spectacular game, scoring four of the five goals.

Playing goalie the entire game was junior Emily Lancaster. Lancaster blocked multiple shots by Sanger throughout the game.  

She was focused on the game but says she was stressed in the goal. Lancaster worried she “wasn’t going to block the next shot, [worried] she would let another one in.”

“Our hard work during practice and determination to beat everyone” lead to the girl’s success Lancaster said.

Alexander was “very excited she got to play and they won Valley’s.” She contributes their success to her coaches and teammates.

The Cougars are ecstatic to have competed in their ninth Valley Championship under the leadership of coach Noah Minton. Their season long goal was to win and win they did.

Minton says this year was “extra exciting as we were at the same level of ability as all the other Clovis schools.”

“We took a lot of pictures, cried, and some [of the girls] met up for a bonfire” said Lancaster in response to how the team celebrated the victory.

After the final buzzer, half of the student section jumped in the pool fully clothed to celebrate with the girls.

When Deputy Principal Carrie Carter walked over to the poolside, nobody knew what to expect. With one swift dive Carter was in the pool to join in on the celebration.