Cross Country to Compete at Valley Championships Today

Natalie Jones, Reporter

The Clovis High cross country team will be racing at Woodward park in the Central Section Championships meet today. This meet will determine what schools advance to the state championship meet Saturday November 25.

On Thursday November 9 the Clovis High Cross country team raced in the TRAC Championships at Woodward Park. The girls team finished second in league overall and the boys team finished in third.

Both the guys and girls teams have been working hard this season to meet their goal of qualifying for the state meet, and the league meet was a great indicator of the teams’ potential

“[The girls competed], about what we expected and were hoping for. We knew going in for the girls that Buchanan is one of the best teams of the country,” head coach Sean Mcmanus said. “We knew that we needed to make it our priority to beat all of the other teams.”

Freshman Kiley Butchert stood out as key runner for the Cougars. She ran a 19:42 on the Woodward park course–a personal best for her.

“The race was a huge personal best for her. That was really helpful in improving our point total. She ran a minute faster than she previously ran on that course.” Mcmanus said.

“At the league race I think I ran pretty good, not my best. I know I can improve but for the first league race of my highschool career I did pretty good,” Butchert said. “This is my second race at Woodward Park. I definitely don’t have as much experience that I would like, but for the second race I definitely did better than I was expecting to do.”

Mcmanus believes that if the girls team keeps doing what they are doing, then they will qualify to compete at the state meet. For the boys however, the task to secure one of the three spots to go to states may be more strenuous.

“[The guys] didn’t run there best, but we are still third, right behind Buchanan and Clovis North,” Mcmanus said. “Even on a not great day, being able to finish where we ended gives us some optimism for the Valley meet. We are hoping to run our best and beat some other teams. Overall I would say it was pretty successful.”

Although not his best race, Senior Chris Watkins finished in third place at the TRAC championships with a time of 16:34.