Cougar Soccer Team Trying to End Tough Losing Streak

Emma Streich, Reporter

Clovis High girls soccer will compete against Bullard today at 3 p.m. on the Knight’s turf today.

The team is coming off a tough losing streak, having lost 2-1 to San Joaquin Memorial yesterday and both matches at the Madera High tournament Dec. 8 and 9.

This was one of their first tournaments of the year, where the girls played against tough teams Davis and Carondelet.

Playing hard, the Cougar’s lost 4-1 against Davis who according to maxpreps.com is ranked No. 2 in California. The loss against Carondelet was a bit bigger with the Cougars being shut out 5-0.

Sophomore and first-year varsity player Brooklin Woolf said she thinks “losing was good for [our team] so that we can work harder in the future.”

Last season, the Cougars fell short of a Central Section Championship appearance, losing in penalty kicks to Clovis North in the semifinals. Thus, the team knows the team will need to work hard to achieve their goal of competing at the 2018 Valley Championship.

With only four seniors on the team, it may be hard for the Cougars to pull out enough wins throughout the season but the girls are confident in each other and are excited for the season ahead.

The team is “going to go towards Clovis North,” said senior Lesleyann Rodriguez, “because last year we went head to head with [Clovis North] and lost in PK’s”

As for this year, Woolf hopes the girls can “play as a team, play for each other, and go as far as possible.”