The Last Jedi: Let the Memes Begin

Chloe Swinney, Reporter

With the release of the eighth in the saga, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, theaters all around the country were bursting with enthusiastic fans on December 14. However, despite the fervent promises that the film would surpass all that came before it, it left many viewers disappointed.

With Rey (Daisy Ridley) off on a journey to recruit Jedi Master Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) and a First Order Fleet closing in, the dwindling forces of the Rebellion evacuate their base. However, they soon find that, aided by a tracking device, the First Order has followed them through hyperspace, leaving them with no alternative but to call for the help of allies as their fuel supply runs dangerously low.

Meanwhile, Rey attempts to convince a reluctant Master Skywalker who, after a disastrous experience with his nephew, Kylo Ren (Adam Driver), has vowed to never teach another student and has withdrawn from the world. As Rey tries to uncover Skywalker’s mysterious past and decipher her own daunting future, Rey finds herself somehow connected to Kylo Ren and in her frequent visions of him. She begins to doubt his devotion to the dark side.

With enough plot twists to give you whiplash, out of control character arcs, and boring side quests, fans had plenty to complain about. Many criticized that the film was a poor remake of The Empire Strikes Back while others complained of jarring plot holes such as the never-before-seen, enigmatic abilities of the force, many of which the film leaves unexplained. Mark Hamill himself revealed that he was disappointed by director Rian Johnson’s depiction of a cynical and bitter Skywalker.

Despite its many shortcomings, The Last Jedi is worth seeing if for no other reason than to get in on the quality memes that have resulted from the film. A trend has exploded recently in which a series of The Last Jedi spoilers on Twitter that, without context, don’t spoil much. For those who have seen movie, however, these clever tweets have become a highlight of this chapter of Star Wars.

Whatever its faults, The Last Jedi is the perfect Tuesday night activity for any sci-fi enthusiast with a healthy love of memes!