Eighth Graders Take PSAT

Emma Streich, Reporter

Clovis Unified eighth graders took the practice SAT (PSAT) on Tuesday, January 9, for the second consecutive year.

CUSD paid the $16 per student for the test both years.

Previously, freshman year was the first year students had the chance to take the PSAT. Last year, the sophomores at Clovis High took it, whereas this year the juniors took the test courtesy of CUSD.

The PSAT is made up of a reading, writing, and math section.

Clark Intermediate academic block teacher Penney Lowder says the teachers and administrators decided to have the eighth grade students take the test because they “need to be exposed to college prep tests like the SAT – this gives them an opportunity to prepare.”

However, some students think they may have taken the test too early while others agree it was beneficial as they move forward to high school and beyond.

Students like Clark eighth grader Zachary Flores thinks the test will help him as he moves forward into high school next year.

Flores says this test was “different compared to other tests [he has] taken in the past. It was more challenging.”

Lowder thinks the test was “beneficial for the students because they better understand the test itself, plus practice skills like focus and attention in a testing setting, which they will need for upcoming State testing.”

Flores continued by saying that taking it the first day back from Winter Break caused him to be somewhat stressed out, tired, and overwhelmed.

Clark Intermediate seventh grade counselor Beth Willson says choosing to administer the four-hour long test the day the students got back from their two week break “allows for minimal disruption in the flow of [the] curriculum as we move into the second semester.”

Willson was in charge of setting up the testing area for the students.