CHS Wins Against CWHS

Emma Streich, Reporter

The Clovis Cougars will face the Buchanan Bears this Tuesday at 5:00 after the Cougars 3-1 win against the Clovis West Eagles on Friday January 19.

In the previous game against Buchanan on January 5, the girls tied 1-1, but sophomore Cherlyn Rugg, who plays midfield and forward, is confident in the team’s abilities going into this game.

As for the game against West, senior and goalie, Callie Thiesen, says it was “one of our best games.” The girls played a close game, keeping the score tied and forcing the game into overtime.

“This time we didn’t give up,” Thiesen says, “we played really well together and that’s what made us confident.”

Rugg says West “was a good team” but doesn’t “think they played as smart as [CHS] did, they were really physical.”

Scoring two more goals in overtime allowed the Cougars to get the win over the Eagles.

Freshman Samantha Tristan scored the team’s second goal within minutes of the beginning of overtime. Their final goal came at the foot of Junior Kylie Lucero with only minutes until the ring of the clock.

The CHS defense allowed CWHS hardly any chances on goal, helping teammates to shoot on the West goalie more often.

“We dominated in overtime,” says Assistant Coach Jon Howerton, “the team played really well against West.”