Cougars versus Golden Eagles in Rivalry Game

Faith McKesson, Reporter

With a 2-3 Tri-River Athletic Conference record and 14-7 overall, the Clovis High girls’ basketball team heads into an away rivalry game at Clovis West this Friday.

Coming off a conference loss against Clovis North, the girls are working hard together to bounce back and prep for Friday’s game.

“[The girls] watched film and broke their plays down,” said coach Gregory Clark, “and looked for what they individually could work on and then what can be done as a team.”

When it comes to pushing forward as a team, sophomore Kelsey Delgado said, “We plan to continue to work hard and put in maximum effort every day and to play to the best of our abilities.”

With the game against West just around the corner, the strong desire of revenge for last season’s Valley Championship seems to fuel each practice.

“Every team is a concern,” said coach Clark. “Every game is different in the way that we’re going to play them and how they’re going to play us.”

As far as the team is concerned, Coach Clark believes that playing each game as it comes is their best bet.

“I always try to prep the girls for the closest game and then move onto the one after that,” said Clark.

It’s been a year since the Clovis High girls have played West and they’ve since had time to reflect on the loss and gain insight on a strategy for this year’s Valley Championship game in March.

Clovis High junior Jasmine Heu said, “When our team has to deal with troubles, we have to learn to overcome them and we are getting better at that every day.”