CHS to participate in 2017 Academic Decathlon

Chloe Swinney, Reporter

Clovis High’s  Academic Decathlon team is off to the races this weekend with the first competition day taking place Saturday, January 27 at Fresno State. This year the participants have been studying all things Africa, competing in various subjects from literature to science, and everything in between.

For the first day of competition, the team will present pre-prepared speeches on the topic before a panel of judges. Following their presentation, they will be interviewed by the judges to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of the topic. The following competition will consist of a super quiz in which the participants’ knowledge will be challenged through a written exam.

This year’s Academic Decathlon advisor, Theresa Cook, had nothing but praise for the amazing program and looks forward to her team’s performance.

“It’s a terrific program,” said Cook. “Academic Decathlon is an amazing opportunity to learn about really wonderful subjects.”

Both Cook and team captain, Timothy Chang, encourage students to get involved in future competitions and hope to replenish the ranks of the team as many of the members are seniors and must pass the mantle to the younger students.

According to Chang, “[Academic Decathlon] is a lot of work and it can be very tiring, but it’s definitely rewarding. You get to meet all kinds of interesting people, and it can be a lot of fun along the way.”

Aside from the fun of the competition, Academic Decathlon can be extremely beneficial for those looking to attend college. Not only does participation in the event bolster college applications, but students can even earn college credit at Fresno State.

Cook recommends the decathlon to any and all students with an interest in learning and work ethic. The competition takes dedication and time, but is possible for anyone willing to put in the work, no matter their GPA.

In the meantime, the team will focus on the swiftly upcoming event as they review their preparations.

“We hope to show growth,” said Cook.