Clovis Boy’s Soccer Blackout Game

Marlem Reyes, Reporter

Senior goalkeeper Evan Ghimenti leaped to make a fingertip save that determined the game, edging Clovis North 2-1 last Tuesday, a home rematch worth the two week wait. Special events highlighted the evening.

The Blackout game raffled formal bids for those who wore black to the game and showcased the Clark varsity soccer team at half-time.

The Clovis High team was stripped of its winning streak and the number one spot in the Tri-River Athletic Conference after the away conference game against North on January 12. Yet the tables have turned once more and the reigning Valley champs earned their redemption: the Blackout Game ended with a 2-1 score.

“We were kind of stressed out,” senior player Edgar Sevilla said before last Tuesday’s game.

The teams started the game off at a steady pace and played an even first half until Clovis North pulled ahead during the last two minutes and scored the first goal. Yet the tables quickly turned the second half.

Senior Rubehn Martinez scored the second goal two minutes into the second half, assisted by senior Oscar Rubalcava. The corner kick caused an uproar in the home section; students and parents alike cheered their team on.

Once again, Martinez and Rubalcava acted as a power duo and scored the final goal. This time around, Martinez assisted Rubalcava.

With five minutes left on the clock, Clovis North’s growing concern revealed itself in aggressive forms of shoving, jersey-pulling, and what the Clovis players saw as unsportsmanlike behavior. The game sparked much discontent within the crowd of spectators at the lack of referee involvement.

“Yes, they [the referees] can be frustrating sometimes,” Sevilla said.

Clovis High and Clovis North are now tied for the conference lead, both with 7-1 records. Yet the reigning Central Section champs hold an overall 21-1-3 record while Clovis North holds a 16-3-2 record.

Both teams have two conference games remaining before entering playoff season. Clovis High will play Clovis West on Tuesday February 6.

“Last year we said this year would be our year [to win the Championship],” Coach Danny Amparano said. “I guess we just did it a year earlier.”