Why Isn’t Black History Month Recognized on Campus?

Faith McKesson, Reporter

With over 10 holidays and events celebrated in the month of February, one of the most important has been Black History Month.

Extending through the month of February, Black History Month is a time for showcasing and paying tribute to important black men and women who helped shape and modernize the America we know today.

African-American figures such as Thurgood Marshall, the first African-American to be appointed as an associate justice of the Supreme Court; Jesse Owens, 4-time Olympic gold medalist; and Angela Davis, African-American political activist and member of the Black Panther Party, helped pave the way for African-Americans pre and post-civil rights movement.

Black men and women have pushed the racial norms and boundaries for generations to follow.

With the political climate we’re in right now, it’s more important that ever to show all students the great historical black figures who have sacrificed so much, and for some, their lives, for the greater good and a greater America.

But why aren’t these figures, not to mention the hundreds of others, receiving the recognition and exposure on the Clovis High campus they rightfully deserve?

We preach about equality, diversity, and acceptance for every student on campus. We even have a wall in the campus library covered with an illustration of Martin Luther King Jr.

And where’s his shout-out on the morning announcements in February?

Oh yeah! We only use Dr. King’s infamous quote when white students are caught racially harassing black students on the internet.

Not to mention, there were no decorations or signs put up around campus to pay tribute and bring attention to influential black figures in America but there always seems to be decorations for Valentine’s Day filling up the amphitheater and walls across campus.

Look, the colorful array of heart shaped cut-outs plastered as far as eyes can see is a cute little gesture and I’m all for it. But why doesn’t Clovis High do such a thing for Black History Month?

I mean it’s a whole month of celebration compared to one measly day of love.

If black students want any sort of displays for influential African-Americans in history, we have to do it ourselves.

Students had to volunteer out of their free time to decorate the library or recite the bibliographies of black figures on the announcements due to the lack of coverage the school gave.

By simply putting up posters of different black celebrities, poets, athletes, and politicians, a large number of Clovis High’s student body could learn about many underrepresented black figures they might have never learned about in history class

Black men and women have been influencing, shaping, and educating this country since the day it was established, not to mention we built it.

Let’s start giving these amazing figures the respect and tribute they deserve.

1 Comment

One Response to “Why Isn’t Black History Month Recognized on Campus?”

1. Annie Tremp on February 10th, 2018 12:20 pm

Excellent story, and excellent point! Give credit where credit is due and acknowledge our historical and current African American mentors, leaders, teachers, scientists, etc. This would be a great place for equality and diversity to be spotlighted.

[Reply]