Clovis High Boys’ Tennis Team Expected to Have a Great Season

Natalie Jones, Reporter

The Clovis High Boys will be scrimmaging against Redwood at Clovis High on Tuesday February 13. After last year’s successful season, the boys tennis team will get its first opportunity to test the waters. Second-year coach Dave Lee has high hopes for the boys this season.

“The team is much stronger at this point of the season than last year. They picked up from where they left off and are hitting really well,” coach Lee said.

Last years Clovis High boys tennis team went 5-5 in league and 15-9 in the overall season. Sophomore, Brody Soderston and third singles player went 16-2 in league losing against Clovis North and Sanger. Coach lee hopes to improve the overall league score this season.

The boys’ hard work has been paying off.

“We will be competing at a higher level than last year,” coach Lee said, “If this year’s team were to play last year’s team, this year’s team would win.”

Coach Lee believes that the toughest competition in Tri-River Athletic Conference will come from Clovis North.

“In league Clovis North will be the strongest team we play,” coach Lee said.

However, coach Lee’s grim outlook on their chances to beat Clovis North does not translate to the other schools in the conference.

“I like our chances against the other Clovis schools, specifically Clovis West and Buchanan. On paper, Buchanan and West are stronger than us, but from what I see out on the courts, I like our chances,” coach Lee said.

Coach Lee also gained a new assistant varsity, Wyatt Kershaw, a former Clovis High tennis player himself.

Kershaw will be helping coach Lee coach the high school team for the first time. Kershaw started playing tennis when he was a freshman in highschool and played on varsity. He then skipped to years and traveling for tennis tournaments in Northern California. Kershaw came returned to the Clovis High tennis team his senior year and went 19-1 in the record. He is excited to be a coach for his alma mater.

“It is really cool to be back coaching for a team I once played for.” Kershaw commented.

Kershaw has had plenty of experience with the game of tennis, but this will be his first time coaching a team.

“I went on to play at Fresno City college for two years and went to the state championships over there. I coached down in Southern California for a bit, and loved it,” Kershaw said, “ It is my first year coaching high school and coaching an actual team. Before I only coached individuals, so the team setting is a different type of a challenge.” Kershaw said in regards to his coaching experience.

Assistant coach Kershaw is thrilled about the opportunity to coach and has set his own goals as a new coach.

“One of my goals is to be more patient,” Kershaw said. “I think helping these guys being able to improve is super rewarding; it is awesome to see personal growth.”