Mock Trial Season Comes to a Close

Brooke Sauceda, Reporter

Clovis High Mock Trial team’s season came to a close last Thursday after losing in the semi-finals.

Although the team didn’t make it nearly as far as it would have liked to, the advisor, English teacher Leanne Lewis, felt that the students finished strong despite not making it past finals.

The mock trial team won two of its four matches this year which Lewis felt was an improvement from the prior season.

She felt the team did well with the prosecution, the hardest part of any case.

Lewis said, “We actually won a round where we were prosecution so I think we did pretty well with it even though the odds were stacked against them from the beginning.”

Two difference makers on the team this were senior Ashley Bermudez and sophomore Matthew Bethea.

Bermudez really stood out in the team’s last match.

“The judges were really impressed with her with the last round,” said Lewis.

Bethea proved to be an important part of the team. This season, along with his normal position as defense attorney, Bethea also acted as the prosecuting attorney to fill someone else’s position.

However, he really came into his own with the position and proved to be good at it. Lewis is confident in what he can do for the team next year.

“He will definitely help the team next year,” said Lewis.

She was also open about where the team could improve next year.

“They don’t make enough objections and cross examinations,” said Lewis. “ And listening to the witness’s a little bit more so that when they get their response they are able to respond appropriately or ask a question that would be more appropriate.”

Next year”s team will be changing a lot though. Mock trial is losing five seniors out of its team of 14 so they will be doing a lot of recurring for next year.

Lewis does have confidence, though, in those that are returning, especially the three juniors.

“They’ve been in it since they were freshman so they should really help the team,” said Lewis.