Cougars Win Last Game Before Playoffs

Emma Streich, Reporter

Clovis High will go into the playoffs this week ranked third and will play the winner of the Central vs. Centennial game on Thursday, February 16.

Some members of the team nervous, but they are confident in each other and know they will do well.

Every high school in the Tri-River Athletic Conference is fairly close in terms of win to loss record so it is difficult to point at a ‘number one’ school that the girls plan to go after.

Last year, Buchanan won the Valley title making them one of the bigger targets for competition. The girls will need to work hard and play their best to make it as far as possible.

Hardwick thinks they have a “good chance at winning Valley’s because [she] feels they haven’t reached their full potential.” Hardwick thinks the Cougars are good but believes they can be better.

The Clovis Cougars won their last non-playoff game 1-0 against Clovis West Tuesday, February 6.

Scoring the only goal was sophomore Brooklin Woolf who headed the ball above the goalie into the net off of a corner kick. Woolf scored with seconds left of the game, preventing the game from going into overtime.

“We weren’t doing too well in the first half but we really had a wake-up moment in the second half,” says Woolf, “but scoring that goal felt good. It was a really uplifting feeling.”

Sophomore and outside defender Julia Hardwick was pleased with CHS’s “defensive stops and not allowing [West] to score.”

In addition to it being the last game before heading into playoff season next Wednesday, it was senior night for four of the team members – Kelly Crouch, Callie Thiesen, Lesleyann Rodriguez and Kassie Christensen.  

Senior and mid-defender Rodriguez hopes to continue playing soccer for Fresno City next year but is “sad because this is the ending, there are a lot of memories” being on the CHS soccer team.

The seniors played a major role in shaping the team.

“The seniors are always there for everyone else, they’re always giving 100 percent, and always showing that they’re leaders, overall they are good people to look up to,” says Woolf.

Rodriguez is happy with the teams win against West especially because she says playing West the second time around was much harder than the first.