CUSD Recognizes Employees That Go Above and Beyond

Jordyn Ohashi, Reporter

Every year the Crystal Gala Awards Ceremony recognizes employees that not only meet the core values of CUSD, but go beyond that by making a notable difference in the lives of students and the community. The recipients of the Crystal Award include teachers, plant supervisors, bus drivers, learning directors, etc. This year the event will be held on February 28, 2018 at the CUSD Performing Arts Center at 7:30 p.m. to highlight the hard work of 27 employees.

Out of these 27 exceptional staff members 2 are from Clovis High.

Patti Carpenter is the official activities secretary and to most students at CHS she is “Momma Carp.” She earned this endearing name due to her positive attitude and love for all students. The other honoree at CHS is Stephanie Frazier, a counselor, who always goes out of her way to help students in every way not just in school.  

Everyone that was asked about these wonderful women had trouble describing them since you could say just about any positive word and they would fit it. Two things that stood out was their overall spirits and all that they do for students.  

Sheri Hawkins, a co-worker of Frazier said, “[Frazier] believes in keeping all kids on the straight and narrow, she is a fantastic counselor, and she works with Interact Club by coming up with so many volunteer events.”

“[Carpenter] tries to get everyone involved, keep everyone safe, and gets everything done whether it takes days or two minutes,” said Hannah Lee, a student of CHS.

Frazier and Carpenter have long been admired for their good deeds and positive influence.  A few people shared their experiences with these women.

“There are instances where [Frazier] has kids in that are in crisis,” said Hawkins. “You can tell that deep in her heart she cares and she does everything she can possible do to help every be healthy mentally and physically.”  

“[Carpenter] has been a really big part of my life, I went through a rough patch and I started talking to her,” said Lee. “She helped me get my stuff together and keep my mind whole and know that there is always good no matter how bad it is.”

Overall, they are inspirational people who we are lucky to have on our campus due to their love and goodness.

“I love what I do,” said Carpenter. “I truly feel like I have 3,000 kids and if they do incredible things in their lives and I had even 2% to do with that I have done my job”