Gateway Track and Field Meet

Payton Mayer, Reporter

The Clovis High School track and field team finished the Gateway to Track and Field meet last Friday at Buchanan High School, preparing for the meet Wednesday against Central High School at Koligian Stadium at 3 p.m.

The meet last Friday took place in a drenching downpour. Instead of postponing the meet, many of the early races and field events were moved back to a time when the rainfall wasn’t too drastic. The events moved back were high jump and the long distance races.

It was a bonus that some of the events were pushed back because senior runner and high jumper, Alexis Vincent-Walker, took home first in the high jumping event.

“It felt great to be back out there,” said Vincent-Walker. “Of course the weather wasn’t so great, and the conditions of the track were a little slick, but it felt great to win and pick up where I left off last year.”

Vincent-Walker finished last season strong but wound up struggling in the state competition along with senior Jake Woods who was back out on the track hurdling–and winning.

“I love hurdling, it’s what I’m best at,” said Woods. “I’m one of the top in the state and I look to prove what I know I am capable of. I don’t want last year’s state meet reflecting something about me I know that’s not true.”

A lot of this year’s runners and field competitors are looking to redeem themselves after last years disappointing finishes.

“Winning Arcadia is a great accomplishment, but I want to be a state champ,” said Vincent-Walker. “I know I can, and I know I will.”

Woods and Vincent-Walker are both looking to take things up a notch as they now head into their first league meet against Central that won multiple match-ups last year against the Clovis High team.

“They’re really fast, but I believe we’re faster,” said senior runner Nathaniel Barry.