Clovis Softball to Open TRAC Season At Buchanan

Justin Lowery, Reporter

The reigning Valley Champion Clovis High Cougars Softball team will open up the 2018 TRAC season at Buchanan on Tuesday, April 10.

The Cougars defeated the Bears earlier this season in the Easter Softball Classic Championship by a score of 8-6, a comeback effort that saw them score seven runs in one inning late in the game.

After finishing 2017 with a league record of 8-2 (both losses to Valley Champion Runner-Up Central Grizzlies), the ladies will hope their prior success will carry over to this season.

Leading up to the start of the conference season, the Cougars have compiled a strong résumé by winning tournaments and non-conference games behind shutdown pitching behind senior Danielle Lung and a potent offense from seniors Tori Mueller, Ashley Kincaid, Jordyn Martinez, Emily Puente, and others.

In early March, CHS hosted the Clovis Lead-Off Classic and defeated San Benito, Concord, and Huntington Beach en route to a first place finish in the tournament.

One week later, the ladies traveled to Las Vegas, Nevada and won the Kick-Off Classic tournament with convincing wins over Foothill, Damonte Ranch, Bishop Gorman, West High, and Bishop Manogue.

Additionally, this past week the Cougars defeated Selma, Liberty, Bullard, and Buchanan in the Easter Softball Classic.

CHS is currently participating in the Whittier Christian Tournament and the girls suffered their first loss of the season to Sunny Hills High School. The team will face off against West Covina, Thousand Oaks, and possibly one more team depending on their prior game results before returning to town and beginning TRAC season.

Maxpreps has the Cougars currently ranked 3rd in the state of California and 5th in the nation, while the Bears rank 15th in the state and 50th in the nation. The two powerhouses will kick off league next week in hopes for a Valley Championship ring.