Table Mountain Casino Big Hat Days of Clovis

Marlem Reyes, Reporter

Clovis is big on traditions, so it is no surprise Big Hat Days is the largest two-day festival in Central California. The festival is hosted in Old Town Clovis the first full weekend in April and kicks off Western Heritage Month in Clovis. This year, the two day event will begin Saturday (9 a.m. to 6 p.m.) and ends Sunday (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.).

Started in 1939, Big Hat Days has been part of the Clovis Rodeo celebrations along with the Rodeo Parade.

This year the 104th Clovis Rodeo officially begins on Friday, April 27 and ends on Sunday April 29.

While admission to the rodeo is not free, Big Hat Days is free admission. Big Hat Days is hosted by the Clovis Chamber of Commerce and sponsored by Table Mountain Casino.

With about 140,000 attendees, the streets of Old Town will be teeming all weekend long. Last year, more than 15 blocks were set aside for the festival.

Attendees are encouraged to wear a hat to shield them from the Valley sun as they enjoy more than 300 booths of entertainment.

“The booths are fun to check out, cute tank tops and other fun souvenirs,” said junior Camille Brahim.

There is entertainment for all: carnival and pony rides for children, local band performances for adults, food and vendor booths for everyone. There are booths for shaved ice, ice cream, lemonade, funnel cake, kettle corn, roasted corn, barbecue ribs, corn dogs, and Mexican food. Carnival rides are usually located on Fourth St. while vendors fill the rest of Old Town.

“It’s very fun to go in the afternoon,” freshman Audrey Ruffin said. “The streets are packed and the food smells great.”

According to the Clovis Roundup, the event is expected to bring Clovis $30 million in revenue.

The event has grown so large the Clovis Chamber of Commerce is asking volunteers come out and help set the stage for the celebration. The Clovis High Community Service “Remind App” has sent two reminders encouraging students to volunteer Saturday from 5:30 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.