Clovis High Color Guard takes 5th at the World Championships

Brooke Sauceda, Reporter

Clovis High Color Guard went to the world championships in Dayton, Ohio over the weekend and took 5th place overall.

With 132 teams competing, the Cougar’s varsity team made up of 12 members finished the highest out of all the other California teams competing. The next highest placing California team was Rancho Cucamonga High School with their 12th place finish.

The team ended the semifinals with a 89.79 score, the fourth highest out of over 60 teams.

The team worked really hard this season and is proud of their finish.

“The finish this year was stronger than last year because we worked harder and pushed through to make ourselves and the team better,” said senior guard member Katelyn Reeves.  

The team improved four places from their 9th place finish at the world championships last season.

Every member on the team helped to contribute to their success.

“This event really showcases the team as every member contributes greatly to our overall success, especially in ensemble moments that we’ve worked particularly hard on,” said senior member Jennifer Siechert.

Placing so high was a victory for the team.

“Finishing so high meant a lot to me because I got to see my own growth, and our team coming together and improving day by day to allow us to reach 5th place,” said Reeves.

With so many teams across the country attending this event the Cougar’s were able to show off their talent and their work.

“The event showcases how much effort we have put  into making our show the best because we received 5th out of 132,” said Reeves.

The team enjoyed being surrounded by so many people that also participate in color guard.

“The trip was really exciting as we were constantly immersed in color guard through practicing, performing, and watching,” said Siechert.

And although the trip was hard work the 5th place finish made it all worth it.