Swan Song: The Exodus of Print Media

Faith McKesson, Reporter

In the last 15 years, print newspapers have faced a silent casualty at the hand of web browsers and hand-held devices.

Between 2000 and 2015, advertising revenue for print newspaper fell from about $60 billion to about $20 billion, practically disintegrating progress from the preceding 50 years.

This now small snowball will only seem to fall further down the mountain as print media gets trapped under its debris.

But it’s not just a sudden dilemma faced by both reporters and readers alike. The timeline of print media’s demise has been a lengthy process.

With media making the shift towards glass screens and keyboards in the late 2000’s, the knife in print media went deeper.

The introduction of Craigslist, an American online advertisement service, seemingly made newspaper listings obsolete and dated. The ability to find a couch, house, lost pet, and spouse all at the swipe of your thumb helped cripple the revenues and reputation of papers across the nation.

But Craigslist isn’t the only culprit for the slow murder of newspaper outlets, of course. Streaming sites, online articles, and media god Buzzfeed have acquired mammoth followings of teens and young adults alike for their daily media consumption.   

Though the shift from print to pc has caused commotion and chaos across many media platforms, there’s still safety in numbers.

The honest art of reporting hasn’t seem to take a fall, at least not yet.

Reporting jobs in New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C. increased by 60 percent between 2004 and 2014.

That decade-long boost in media personnel could help light the match that returns print media to its once marvelous status.

The infamous black and white pages were thought to have withstood the test of time, are predicted to not even stand the test of the next decade.

With more millennials not even catching sight of a newspaper in the last 5 years, essentially, all hope seems to be lost for our dear friend, The Paper.

Clovis High junior Leah Moment said “I read my news online,” but as for her parents, “I can’t remember the last time I saw them reading the newspaper, it’s definitely been a while.”

Clovis High senior Bree Johnson said, “I always read my news online and I’m one of the few people I know who still gets the newspaper delivered to my house.”

As more and more younger consumers grow bored and plain uninterested in media and news, the less news and communication outlets are needed or funded.

For the upcoming 2018-19 school year, a minuscule enrollment of 3 students (including myself) for our campus journalism class, was seemingly the straw that broke the camel’s back.

I’ve only been writing news articles for merely a year but the time I’ve had in these four walls could last a lifetime.

Documenting truth, opinion, and social commentary was the most dignified thing I have done in my three years on the Cougar campus- let’s just hope there’ll be enough reporters out there to amplify it in the next 10 years.