Clovis High Swim Teams Season Comes to a Close

Andraya Trutna, Reporter

Four girls will be continuing on to the State meet after taking first place in their events in the Valley Swim meet May 12-13 at Clovis West High School. These four girls include freshman Taylor Anderson, junior Abby Mammen, and seniors Shelby Vidmarand Averee Preble.

These girls were all in the 200 yard medley relay together where Mammen swam backstroke, Vidmar swam breastroke, Preble swam butterfly, and Anderson swam freestyle. These girls may have all been in a relay together but only Preble, Vidmar, and Mammen will be competing in individual events.

Vidmar will be competing in the 200 yard IM with a surprising comeback by taking fifth in the prelims on Friday May 12 but first in the finals on May 13. She shot up from fifth to first as she dropped 2.28 seconds from her prelim time. Vidmar will also be competing in the 100 yard breaststroke where she took first place in both the prelims and finals.

Preble will also be competing in state by taking first in the 100 yard butterfly and the 500 yard freestyle in the prelims and finals. Mammen made the required state time for the 100 yard backstroke so she will also be continuing on to state.

Vidmar went to states as a Junior and she says “junior year was a fun experience at states but getting to go back with the same team mates my senior year is pretty cool.”

According to the CHS swim coach Peter Tragitt, there is division one and division two and someone who makes the necessary time for their division can go to state. A swimmer can also go to state by either getting first or second in his or her event but these four girls are the only ones who achieved this.

The team prepared for Valleys by “being on taper” according to sophomore Sanci Sonkoly. Taper is where the swimmers are advised to not eat certain foods so that they will not consume unnecessary calories and be more in shape by having less fat on their bodies. They have been on taper from before the TRAC meet on May 5 to May 18. The state meet will take place from May 18-19 at the Clovis West aquatic center. Traggitt says that we typically transition from Clovis West High School’s pool to one in Bakersfield every year but we have stuck with Clovis West for the last couple years.

Vidmar says that to prepare for state she is going to “encourage my teammates and make sure to stay positive.”

The TRAC meet is the last meet where swimmers can qualify for Valleys buy making the required time for their event. Both girls and boys lost in the TRAC meet with the girls taking third with 414 points and the boys took fourth with 206 points. Sonkoly said, “I felt like I could have done better but I did my best.”

Clovis West won the TRAC meet for the girls with 613 points and for the guys Clovis North won with 628.5 points.

Clovis High school won a total of four events with Preble taking two wins with the 200 yard IM and the 100 yard Butterfly.

Vidmar won the 100 yard Breaststroke and the last win was in the 200 medley relay where Mammen swam Backstroke, Vidmar swam Breaststroke, Preble swam Butterfly, and Cooper swam Freestyle.